It’s that time of year folks. The third annual Day of Action Against Fascism and Racism is quickly approaching. It’s time to do some work. The initial call to action from the Anti-Racist Action Network can be found here. While in truth there are 365 days of action every year, using this one day to build solidarity and community by making sure our presence is felt as a united front, despite whatever differences we may have is invaluable.
As each year passes, the number and the diversity of participating organizations grows. This year is no exception. We invite all who loathe racist violence and fascist ideology to participate at what ever level feels best to you. We have received a number of inquiries from parties asking what they should do for the 31st. The answer is simple: Whatever you want.
Here are some ideas to start from:
- Throw a benefit concert.
- “Out” members of fascist and racist organizations
- Drops banners with antifascist messages in public areas
- Cover your town in antifascist graff
- Organize a bake sale to benefit antifascist causes
- Host educational sessions to spread the good word
- Organize a rally against racism
- Have a letter-writing party for the Tinley Park Five and Jock Palfreeman
- Perform any actions you can think of to oppose racist and fascist organizing in your area
We continue to be humbled by the support shown to the Tinley Park Five. We know that their situation is in the forefront of everyone in the antifascist community’s minds. We certainly do not want to discourage anyone from keeping them in mind when planning how to spend this year’s Day of Action, but we do ask that you not forget about other antifa prisoners and struggles around the globe.
Let’s build our community. Let’s make sure the enemy feels our presence. Let’s show solidarity. Let’s raise the bar. Let’s make sure that the 2012 Day of Action Against Fascism and Racism goes down in a manner that neither our comrades nor our adversaries will soon forget.